You are here
Waste Management Focus
EAPDD is integrally involved in waste management activities within the 12 county region. The majority of these activities are in direct response to initiatives of the State of Arkansas in the planning for and enforcement of solid waste management systems. Act 870 of 1989, as amended, mandated the creation of solid waste management districts across the state, with the responsibilities for assessing the solid waste needs and devising plans to meet those needs.
Since the passage of Act 870, four solid waste management districts have emerged within the region.
- East Arkansas Solid Waste Management District
- Northeast Arkansas Solid Waste Management District
- Craighead County Solid Waste Management District
- Mississippi County Solid Waste Management District
EAPDD staff provide management services to the East Arkansas Regional Solid Waste Management District (EARSWMD).
Consistent with the requirements of state law, activities of the EARSWMD include:
- Ongoing needs assessment of solid waste problems and opportunities
- A continuous program of planning to deal with the problems and opportunities identified through the needs assessment
- Development and operation of programs to implement waste recycling. The primary strategies to further the cause of recycling in the EARSWMD have been:
- educational programs designed for area schools and, in conjunction with the Arkansas Department of Pollution Control and Ecology, teacher in-service training on solid waste management, recycling, re-use, and reduction techniques and programs
- technical assistance to local governments in designing, implementing and maintaining waste recycling programs
- Identification and assistance in the closure of illegal dump sites licensing of solid waste haulers
In addition, EAPDD staff administers the operations of the East Arkansas Waste Tire District (EAWTD), which serves 11 of the 12 EAPDD counties.
For more information about solid waste management or the waste tire district, contact Dennis Burks:
- Phone: (870) 932-3957
- Fax: (870) 932-0135
- Email: click here to email Dennis Burks (Solid Waste Director)